Sunday 27 May 2018

Electromagnetism

Hi guys!!!

This post is intended for students in class 12(but I highly recommend class 11 students to read it too, so that you have a guideline for the future).

The first chapter is electrostatics. Coulomb's Law, Potentials, Gauss' Law blah blah blah. Don't worry. I'll tell you what to do step by step. You must be thorough with vectors and mechanics. Click here to know more about Mechanics. If you are done then you won't face many problems in Coulomb's law. One section is done. Be very clear with the relation between V and E. Make sure you remember the formulae of V and E of various configurations with direction. Then comes Gauss' Law. This is really important. Practice a lot. And remember special results and derivations. Properties of conductors are important. Read theory from a good book like HCV. Capacitors is another important concept. Be clear with series/parallel connections, charge transfer, etc. Electrostatics in matter is yet another important concept. a lot of questions are asked on free charge and all which confuse those who are not clear with them. Reading theory and solving a lot of problems is recommended.

Then comes electric current. KCL, KVL, Ohm's Law, series/parallel and all related shit. It starts with a discussion of current conduction, drift velocity, electrons, basic properties of currents, etc. Not very important, but remember all formulae here. Then comes the circuit analysis part. Quite important. Practice a lot of questions involving KVL and KCL. Equivalent resistance calculation should be close to you. Practice many symmetry questions. They are common and easy. This chapter has less number of formulae and depends more on problem-solving.

Then comes magnetism. Be clear with currents and Electrostatics for this one. Quite similar to electrostatics. Lots of formulae and derivation(thanks to Biot Savart)- remember them all. Ampere's law is important. Practice a lot of questions and try out derivations(solenoid, wire,etc.) on your own. Direction matters a lot. Don't mess up with that. Practice questions on combined magnetic and electric field. These questions are common. Make sure you understand component splitting, vectors, etc. which are used heavily here. Electromagnetic Induction is easy. But it has a good weightage because it involves both currents and magnetism, Practice question based on calculating current with direction in different situations. This will help you clear KVL, magnetism and EMI all at a time.

Then comes JEE(Main) topics like EM Waves, Maxwell's Equations, etc. Just study NCERT well. And practice some past papers of JEE(Main). You are done.

Coming to the books must have books are NCERT and HCV. You must read HCV when the chapter gets finished in coaching(if you study at home, then just make HCV your coaching :p). If you need more practice, go for Arihant's book for Electromagnetism. Irodov is the final thing to do if you want a top 100 finish or aspire for Olympiads. But do it when you are done with everything else.

You can buy the books at a good price here(I have checked them all, and made sure they are the correct version). You can buy using these links-





This was Electromanetism. I  hope I covered everything. Comment any doubts/suggestions. Follow the blog for updates. I'll be posting a lot in the coming few days. Stay tuned!

All the best!!!

Also see: Best books for JEE preparationOrganic Chemistry, Mechanics, AlgebraMotivation


34 comments:

  1. How is Cengage's BM Sharma Electricity and Magnetism ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen them. But Arihant books are good. They are used widely.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. bhaiya which will be better option . reading or reffering to video lectures?

      Delete
  2. Can I do just DC pandey as I have got LEss amount of time? I have to cover 11th too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recmmend don't do DCp and Do HCV first. And see the next post.

      Delete
    2. Why so...?? I think in DCp every topic is given more precisely..

      Delete
  3. Hello Kalpit Bhaiya,can you please tell us which are the good books for preparing jee mains and advanced for each subject and which books you have used in your jee preparation as it would help me and many other aspirants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mentioned them in another post names books. Check them. I will make a better list soon.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a CBSE Student.I am the RBSE board Student. Our board textbook is quite differ than NCERT. In rbse textbook things have written like statements. I found HCV & NCERT quite friendly for self study. But I can't balance between my board book & ncert or hcv due to time boundaries. I am specially telling about physics.I am currently at Allen kota.
    Sorry for poor English (I am a hindi medium student)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Off-topic, but your English isn't all that bad :3

      Delete
    2. Well ENglish PE is mostly same. Rest is PCm. Concepts are same. Be more acreful 1 month before boards. You can try for boards that time

      Delete
  6. Hello Bhaiya, I am studying in Fiitjee Class 11 and I have HCV as well as DC Pandey and my coaching material .What should be my strategy to read them all? Help plz! Right now I am studying Kinematics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See post on Mechanics and I'll post on revision and books soon

      Delete
    2. Bhaiya I want to know which one to do first and which one to do next.

      Delete
  7. I am a dlpd student of resonance, so should I solve stand books like dcp, cengage or resonance modules ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What about potentiometer etcetra stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is dc pandey and HCV enough to get a top 50 rank in jee advanced?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might be but without irodov No

      Delete
    2. Yes, but top 50 rank depends on a lot of factors, including last day.

      Delete
  10. First of all, thank you so much for taking soa this effort to help us Kalpit. I'm in 12th and studying from reso Ahmedabad, we're currently doing electrostatics, what should be the ideal time to start solving irodov?

    ReplyDelete
  11. When you are comfortable with everything else

    ReplyDelete
  12. what are minimum hours of study for jee mains and jee adavnced

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Currently I'm in 11th and for Physics have my coaching material, HCV and DC Pandey Mechanics. Could you please suggest me the order of solving the books. I would be very grateful to you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi I wanted few iorodv selected problems plz do upload that thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello! The article was helpful, I learned many new things on Electricity and magnetism and I also subscribed your website to get updated.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Kalpit, i have got a question regarding the Electromagnetism portion.so here goes my question,should i study David J Griffiths for this portion?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I feel theory in DCP or Cengage is good than that given in HCV for self study students. What do u suggest for self study. ?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Which book should I solve dcp or cengage for physics and I am in class 10 now and will join allen and I have hav and irodov ????

    ReplyDelete