Sunday 27 May 2018

Revision in class 12

Hi guys!!!

Many of you had been asking me for a post on revision. Especially students of class 12. At this moment class 11 students don't have much to revise, so this post is mainly for students of class 12. But I recommend everyone to read it(so that class 11 students can avoid common mistakes people usually commit).

So there would be two kinds of students-

1. Who studied well in class 11(i.e. all their concepts are clear, they didn't leave many topics, practiced a lot, remember all formulae, equations, reactions, etc.)
2. Those who didn't study very well(i.e. have many backlogs, have forgotten many concepts, or don't remember them very well, or just didn't prepare for the exam).

Both kinds of people need to revise well now. But the strategies would be different. Don't feel bad if you didn't study well in class 11, you can still do wonders. Just follow the below guidelines sincerely, and I assure you good revision.
Coming to those who have studied well in class 11. You might be students aiming at IITs, and are really serious about it. You might be aiming for a top 100 or 50 finish. You have studied well in 11th. Half the job done. Now, make sure you don't get relaxed now and study even more. Attend all classes in 12th and clear every doubt. Make sure you understand class 12th well too. Now coming to the revision part, you should take out a fixed amount of time everyday(or make a few big slots every week). Make a diary and list all the topics in which you feel the slightest of doubt. Then pick up few of them everyday and design a schedule as to when are you going to cover them(you can adjust on the basis of your coaching test schedule maybe). Read theory quickly first (short notes help in this, and I recommend you to make them if not done yet) and then practice some good quality questions. Try to cover all major types of questions so that you revise everything(marking important questions while solving a book/coaching module helps in this process, so do it now if you haven't done it before). Try to give regular tests so that you have an idea of your progress. Also, try to mark yourself after every revision session. Use a timer to time yourself. Make sure you analyze,e your mistakes during those sessions. This will improve both speed and accuracy.

Now coming to students who didn't study well/didn't study at all in class 11, you have lots of time left. 1 year is enough to score any range of marks in JEE. I mean it. Just be patient and follow these points-

First of all, sit-down, take a copy and note down all the reason which due to which you couldn't study. Was it lack of awareness? Lack of commitment? Lack of hard work? Lack of Intelligence(well trust me on this, JEE doesn't need intelligence. All the intelligence factors fades away if you work hard enough).

Try to remove that as much as possible. You have already wasted a year. If you can't focus now, I am sorry, you can't make it. But if you are ready to focus, it's not that tough.

Coming to the point, first list the topics into three categories- topics you are comfortable with, topics which you are okayish with, and topics you don't know at all. Now sit with a teacher and sort the list on the basis of their importance in class 12 topics (e.g.- Ionic Equilibrium is required for Electrochemistry). Now sort it such that the most important topics come at the top. Starting from the top, try to cover the ones which you don't know at all. Pick up a Sunday/holiday, sit for 10-12 hours and complete it. First read theory(class notes/NCERT/any standard book, go to Books post if you don't know about it). Then start with some easy questions(exercise 1 of coaching sheet or any good question bank). Slowly advance to the more tough questions. Try to decide topics of class 11 which you'll improve on a weekly basis. Like I'll revise chemical and ionic equilibrium this week, etc. If you follow this and work hard enough, I guess 2 months are enough to clear most backlogs. And then follow the rules I mentioned for the students who studied well in class 11. And try to do more tough questions once backlogs are clear.

I hope this will clear confusions. Comment anything which you wish to ask. Follow the blog for regular posts.

All the best!!!

Also check : Best books for JEE , MotivationA complete JEE preparation guide, Organic ChemistryMechanicsAlgebra,



31 comments:

  1. I am in class 8 and wish to prepare for engineering. Which books do you recommend for physics and chemistry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prepare for IJSO as first step. See the Olympiad/NTSE section

      Delete
    2. Actually, due to a problem over date of birth, I have to give NSEJS in class 8. Do you believe, it would be fruitful to give the exam after all? I mean, which books should I start with?

      Delete
  2. Bhaiya can you please make a blog for 11th mathematics too. I am having a bit trouble solving problems plus by A Das Gupta.. which alternatives would you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bhaiya, I have just entered class 12th. I studied properly in class 11th but I still have a lot of backlog. I study everyday for at least 8-9 hours seriously but I still don't seem to be getting ahead. My brother who's an iitian says it's because of lack of interest. I don't know what to do, even if I study a topic in depth I am unable to perform in a test. I am slowly losing all hope. Can you please give me some advice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. focus on concepts than tests. Tests will improve slowly. and follow above points

      Delete
    2. Bhaiya plz tell me giudlines for iitjee2019 as only 4 month left and i am in 13th and free test series tell me too.

      Delete
    3. hi did you get selected ?

      Delete
  4. Kalpit bhaiya, pls can u provide some material to us if u have like short notes, question banks etc. It will be highly beneficial for us..pls post them on the group you ve made!(jee doubts)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bhaiya I heard that you made a group on WhatsApp for jee aspirant..Is this true? If yes how can I join?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi I've done my 11 average 50% good the rest average how do improve and revise upon these topics Pls. . I'm willing to study sincerely

    ReplyDelete
  7. While clearing the backlogs of 11th, Is reading theory sufficient for difficult topics to understand ? Or should i try some video lectures for that ? If yes, then will i make it in time ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey brother. Can you please post a blog for droppers (or rather say IMPROVERS).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kalpit I am currently in class 12 and my coaching has designed the class 12 test pattern in such a manner that in every test they include a few topics from class 11 too. For e.g. for chemistry, it's like reaction mechanism, alkane,etc from class 12 and chemical bonding from class 11. So my question to you is should I still put in extra time for class 11 or should I revise the chapters according to the test syllabus?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I forget the topics o study in few days even after revision and i perform good in short chapterwise tests but poorly at big tests i don't go to Coaching and i am in class 12 i understand the concepts well while studying still i forget the details and all

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello bhaiya, i am in 12th presently, i did 11th average, but doing my 12 good, and 11th i have not solved completly but my concepts are not that poor. Can you please guide me which topics of 11th i must practise completly? Rather put it in this way that which are important topics of 11th for jee which i must thorughly practise?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kalpit bhaiya,
    Cay you please suggest good revision package like Rank booster or GMP ....
    also can you suggest some revision plan for JEE Mains 2019...I have joined FIITJEE integrated program so morning 7:30 AM to 6:30PM I am in FIITJEE so hardly get two three hours to study daily for class 12 so with such situation how to revise class 11 also

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our modern physics and magnetism and total physical chemistry of class 12th is to be done at coaching should I do it myself online for mains in January or should I prepare for mains in April and advanced we don't need more than 20 days for our boards and they will be for 15days in Telangana

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi kalpit bhaiya...i have 3 months left for my exam...how should i plan a strategy that involves both 12 th and 11 th revision properly?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear kalpit,
    Please make a blog for 13 starting for jee(main+adv.) 2020, i am waiting for your response

    ReplyDelete
  16. bhaiya i m of 11 plzz help me what to do as i m from smaall town which dlp should i take ... tostart my jee prep. cause it is not yet started n i m entering class 12 in march onwards plzzz help bhaiyaa
    \

    ReplyDelete
  17. How to revise any chapter or topic by attempting questions on it or reading the stuffs than practice

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sir i am in class 12th. I didnt prepared for jee in class 11th but now I started preparing for it. There is no facility of coaching in my city. I study from unacademy youTube channel and solve previous year questions and hcv for practice. Please tell me if this is enough for jee mains. Or I should drop my dream and aim for dropping one year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, simultaneously prepare for boards.

      Delete